Did you know that bad oral bacteria can inhibit normal stomach acid production and interfere with a healthy gut microbiome?
Ayurvedic medicine encourages a time-to-time cleanse of the oral cavity with an herbal decoction. A 7-day throat cleanse called gandusha “mouth gargling” is recommended. This must be done after cleaning your teeth with natural material and scraping your tongue with a tongue scraper.
If you want to sustain normal, healthy gums, clear away toxins and maintain overall oral health, gargling with turmeric mouthwash every day will help you! It is easy to make!
For this homemade mouthwash you will need:
- 1 cup distilled water
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1-2 whole cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon of ginger powder (in case of cold or sore throat)
- A pinch or two of Himalayan salt
- 2-3 dried peppermint leaves
- Put all the first ingredients to a cooking pot and bring to a boil.
- Low boil for 15-20 minutes so their properties infuse.
- Strain and put it in an airtight jar.
How to use it:
- Small batches can be made for up to 3 days only.
- With each use, mildly warm up the decoction.
- Gargle or swish this for about 1 minute and then spit it out.
CENTRE FOR AYURVEDA & INDIAN SYSTEMS OF HEALING